FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conversations With Council

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conversations With Council
    Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 9:37am
At 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday June 30, 2009 at the Manchester Inn & Conference Center at 1027 Manchester Ave in Middletown, City Council Members James Armbruster from the First Ward and Leslie Ford from the Second Ward will be joining together for a Conversation with Council - a time for residents to bring their concerns to the table.   Mr. Armbuster and Mrs. Ford are both running for reelection this November. Armbuster may very well be representing the First Ward again as there is no one opposing him at this time. Mrs. Ford will be running against John P. Soppanish of 1110 Lafayette Ave and Andrew Smith Jr. of 601 Sixteenth Avenue.

For The Entire Story Click Here  Middletown City council host Conversations with council June 30, 2009
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2009 at 11:02am

The event was a waste of time. Huge room with a little more than a dozen citizen in attendence. No sound system. TVM was covered it and said they had to fight for any usable audio.

First hour.... Charter members explaining to council why they recommed this and that. Few pointed questions from council ... lots of head nodding. No citizen participation allowed.

Second hour.... Citizens could give council  their opinions with no responce required.
Becker, Marconie and Armbruster said NOTHING the entire evening. Anita Scott was engaged and the only one who commented on almost every issues...including questions from the audience. Hard to think Council members would take any citizens comments to heart. Most questions came from the usual suspects they don't consider the average citizen.Need to call your rep. directly if you want to have any influence at all....

At least there was no requirement to stand behind some tiny podium  to speak to their council members seated at their dias on high. 

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2009 at 11:24am
Well Merrell it is like we have been saying time to vote out Council.  NO RESPONE WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ALL ABOUT?  I thought it was called Conversation with Council. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2009 at 11:43am
Merrell the next time, if there is ever a next time, there is a Conversation with Council just have someone stand behind each Council person and pull their strings when you are expecting a response.

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2009 at 2:08pm
That is why there was such low attendance. People such as myself have long ago learned that these functions are going to be controlled by Council to such a degree as to make them literally useless and only serve as PR with no descent of controversy allowed. Any pointed or "hard to ignore" questions will be answer by "we will get back to you".

Of course they never do!

Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2009 at 9:25pm
If the founding fathers of our beloved country were to be in attendance last night at the so-called NON-Conversation with Ward 1 and 2 City Council members, they would be ashamed.

Controlled Governance best describes the cast of GILLELAND's ISLAND!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 6:45am

Big%20smile

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 6:51am
And for those of us who missed, which would be 99.99% of the population, this excellent display of our Local Government not in Action it is on TVMiddletown tonight:

"Conversation with Council, First and Second Wards, The Manchester Inn, June 30, 2009,’" June 11, 2009," 8 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 7:23am
Thanks, pac. I'll watch the one at 8. Got to see Larry Becker, Moe Marconi and Curly Armbruster just a sittin' with that "deer in the headlights" look on their faces. Of course, Armbruster is to be somewhat excused from this behavior as he hasn't had a clue in years and doesn't appear to know what county he's in most of the time. Silently pleading the 5th so as not to be incriminated, I guess. Guess they just "weren't set up to answer questions at this time". No doubt graduates from the same communication school that Mulligan came from.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 8:04am
A sampling of profound comments from Moe, Larry & Curly -

"I try to think but nothing happens"

"Soitenly" - Certainly

"Woob Woob Woob"

"Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk"

"I'm a victim of soicumstance" - circumstance

"Why you Numbskull"

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 8:48am
Conversation with Council Ed Richters blog:

What do you want in your council members?

By Ed Richter | Thursday, July 2, 2009, 07:16 AM

At Tuesday’s Conversation with Council, one resident said Middletown City Council was becoming detached and unapproachable to residents.

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones disagreed and said she attends many community functions. She also noted that residents need to decide what kind of council they want before putting parameters on the council members.

Jones raised an interesting question and one that voters will need to decide as candidates are working to get petitions signed in order to run for one of the four Ward seats that are open on council in November.

So what are looking for in your council members? What are the key traits or characteristics they should have? What would you like this new class of council members to bring to the table?

And for those who post comments often about city issues, have you thought about running for a council seat and if not, why? If you were elected, what would you differently and how would you address things if you happened to be on the short end of a vote?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 8:51am
Personally I like this comparison especially when the Mayor Grins:

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:11am
great comparisins with the Stooges and Laurel & Hardy.

Actually Mayor M did a good and fair job Tuesday eve.

This message board was very well represented.
I counted five members for sure, and you could count the remaining citizen participation on one hand and still hold a cup of coffee.
So--ya can't say that those here don't care and aren't involved.

Mr.Becker,Mr.Marconi and Mr.Armbruster should all resign now.
No real point in any of them continuing.
They SAY that they want to continue seving, though their actions speak clearly otherwise.

Vet--I wouldn't even bother watching this one.
Two + hours of nothing.
A waste of everyone's time imo.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:12am
Two points:
1.  There was both a print story in yesterday's MJ as well as an online story, not just ER's blog.  How do I know?  I'm quoted in it.  Well, my remarks are summarized, which means a great deal is missing.
2.   Why the personal attacks on members of council and city government?   Although admittedly, these are harmless comparisons and often give me a chuckle (more at the poster than the subject), it seems immature to me.  I also wonder whether the people who post these remarks would make these comments in person to the people about which they speak.     I suppose this is one of the protections offered by posting on a BLOG: you can type things you would probably never say to someone's face. 
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:14am
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:25am
true Ms.Marianne
though the caricatures harmless and amazingly accurate.

Considering the public shots taken towards the message board participants publicly at Council sessions and in print by exactly the same mentioned culprits, turnabout is fair play.
no harm--no foul

Actually these comparisons say a lot about the demeanor of particular Council members also.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:28am

Marianne I would have no trouble telling the Mayor he resembles Stan Laurel especially  when he Grins, because he actually does.  Hell I love Lauel & Hardy.Big%20smile

You are right on Spider, Marconi has let loose more than once on us, and I harbor no ill feelings, just want to see the City move forward.

I stand corrected on the MJ article.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:33am
Steve, I don't remember any council members holding up a picture of someone from this BLOG and making comparisons. 

And, to follow your logic, as my mom would say to me (whenever I'd use the argument with her that so-and-so was doing it, so why shouldn't I), if someone else jumps off a bridge, does that mean you should do it too?

Anyway, I just find that the remarks undermine any sort of value someone's post might have. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:39am
OK everyone fall in line here no more sarcasm, no more joking around, no more making accurate comparisons between City Officials and other Famous people dead or alive.......and don't forget, "Middletown has a Bright Future".....damn I didn't mean to say that, I apologize for my back sliding in that sarcastic comment.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Marianne Marianne wrote:

Two points:.   Why the personal attacks on members of council and city government?   Although admittedly, these are harmless comparisons and often give me a chuckle (more at the poster than the subject), it seems immature to me.  I also wonder whether the people who post these remarks would make these comments in person to the people about which they speak.     I suppose this is one of the protections offered by posting on a BLOG: you can type things you would probably never say to someone's face. 

Exactly why I use my real name. It gives one pause if one is not hidden by a Forum Nickname.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 11:35am
Marianne, lighten up a little! Mercy! A little levity is in order once in a while. The references to the Three Stooges and to Laurel and Hardy aren't near as serious as the damage these people have caused the city. A few harmless, humorous comparisons will not cause permanent damage. If these grown ups can't handle a little public ribbing, they need not be in the public eye. They have volunteered to attract ridicule by running for PUBLIC office. They have added to that ridicule by doing a poor job at those jobs. Your sensitive side is showing and it is exhibiting a trait that is far too serious for this topic. ITS ALL MEANT AS A JOKE (except for my comments which are meant to be cruel and demeaning)
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 12:33pm
OK Dr.C
I apologize to EVERYONE for going along with the charicaturizations(?)
They are NOT funny at all!!!
And VERY inappropriate!!

Kinda like those portrayed are not very funny either(though Mr.Marconi surely yucked it up all night long at the Tuesday "forum").

This Council is definitely not funny at all.
Funny business maybe, and in no way do they resemble anyone else deceased or living.

Should I have this notarized?
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 1:32pm
Steve et al.
I anticipated your over-the-top responses, which made me doubt whether I should even bother to post, but my question was a legitimate one:  if you want to promote reasoned discussion here, the approach being taken - exemplified by your responses to my asking a reasonable question - doesn't seem to promote it.

I've seen it numerous times when someone questions one of a few posters, a few posters have over-the-top responses.  VietVet, SpiderJohn, and PacMan, glad you are amusing yourselves with your responses to my post.  Write what you wish, but I still think your posts when written in the tone above undermine any credibility you have. 

And Steve, no need for Dr. C., Marianne is fine.  Thanks.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 1:55pm
So getting back to the actual topic of this thread, the conversation with council.  I attended, and it was about what I expected.  In other words, the Charter Review Committee didn't give me any more details than I could gather from the minutes, which are for more useful than the report. 

As I stated elsewhere, when the report is written by people who are not on the committee, I think that's a problem.  The minutes, at least, give some sense of the members' opinions and level of understanding.   About the issue on which I'm "quoted" in the MJ, I just don't believe there's enough "there" in terms of the discussion among Charter Review Committee members to justify suggesting a change. 

My point at the meeting was that changing the position to allow "open" competition would represent a fundamental change to the positions of Chief of Police and Chief of Fire and I wondered to what extent the committee considered this.   Since I read the minutes, I could have answered my own question but I thought some might offer something new.  No one did. 

As for the participation of Council, it didn't surprise me that everyone was there, nor did it surprise me that several members were silent.   Does it bother me?  No, not really, as I don't really know what I would have wanted any of them to say.  Anita Scott Jones was the most active, but that doesn't mean she is thinking any more seriously about what the Charter Review Committee did.  I spoke with a few folks after the meeting.  Everyone I spoke with was respectful and listened attentively. 

July 7th should be an interesting meeting.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 3:09pm
Yes, Doc--your wish shall be granted by this low-level participant. 

Ironically, I spent the last two weeks watching dvds of the three stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton and the Keystone Kops with my grandchildren.
They loved every minute of it, and it made this whole bizarre thread hilarious and too difficult to pass.

Anyone in attendance Tues.that didn't see it as a waste of time?
Judge for yerself 2nite at 8pm and 12:30am
I advise watching the early run , otherwise you will find it hard to stay awake.

nyuk nyuk nyuk!!!
woo woo woo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic