FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section 8
    Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 4:58am

City officials will be asking for emergency legislation from Middletown City Council at its Tuesday, April 7, meeting to extend its current contract with its Section 8 housing administrator for another three months so that a three-year contract can be completed.

More delays on CONSOC contract. Now they need another 3 months?
Why is this contract is taking soooo long to complete.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 6:21am
b careful Tues.evening, Ms.Moon
u have a good point and message
stay cool at all cost

3 more months to finish that contract seems exceptionally long
maybe they will explain why, but I doubt it
must be some bottleneck
secrecy prevails at the expense of everyone

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 6:51am
Censored
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 7:01am
Spider
Don't worry I'm cool...
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 9:00am
I know that u r, Ms.Moon
And I know that you are very knowledgeable on your topic and how the inner admin works.
Remember 3 minutes, though as caretaker of the cemetary, I would think that you could request an extention in advance, and be allowed to talk longer.

I wonder if the "possible violation" residents will make a show also?

Looking forward to watching the meeting, and might come down to catch the live version.
Gives me an excuse to have dinner at 56 degrees afterwards.

Maybe someone who is deep into the Section 8 situation will also speak as to their concerns!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 9:36am
Vivian are you going to be on TV Middletown? Let me know so I can grab it and post it here.

You guys are a big part of checks and balances needed in this town. I appreciate all points of view. And I feel better informed about how people feel about the issues as presented in TV Middletown and the newspaper.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 10:20am
$85,000 PER MONTH to CONSOC !!!!!! $11.5 mil from the budget for this!!! Couldn't it be done any cheaper by hiring their own admin. people and placing them under the DIrector of the Section 8 program? What would be the minumum number of paper shufflers, inspectors,senior coffee drinkers,assist coffee drinkers, supervisors,senior assist. directors, assistant directors, team leaders, asst. team leaders and other pork salaries, etc. the city would need to handle 1600+ Section 8 housing clients? (Hopefully reduced later to the correct number in the 700's.) This monthly cost seems ridiculous. And just what does the city get for this seemingly exorbatant cost?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 11:13am

John

I plan to speak at the City Council Meeting tomorrow night.

I don't think they are going to be very happy by the time I sit down.
The word Thunder-Struck comes to mind.....Wink
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 11:20am
Ok, I will schedule my recorders for 5:30. We will post on this site Wednesday.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 3:29pm
Ms.Moon
Thanx for dropping off a copy of your prepared text
I have read it a couple of times, and think that it is very good.
It enhances the inaction with dates,names/titles and places, showing a consistent pattern of neglect and indifference. It chronicles the situation and violations clearly and well.

Expect Council and admin to say nothing after you speak.
They may not answer the situation at all, mostly because they honestly don't care, and will use the "no money" excuse down the road. I doubt you will get anywhere with the locals.

Then you should probably go ahead and file your complaint with the proper state authorities by certified mail or better.  Just go around the Council and admin. Maybe send a copy to Mr.Derickson and Mr.Cates also.

With the recent flurry of "possible violation" notices, this lapse by the city will put them in very poor light as to not holding up their cosmetic responsibilities. They will hardly put themselves on notice.

You might press your case with Duane Gordon of the Middletown Community Foundation. I have already discussed the past situation with him, and he seemed both sympathetic and aware.

Best of luck--hope 2 b there--looking forward to it all!
Truth Teller View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 4:08pm
Government knows best is the mantra of senior city staff and some elected officials.  The future of Middletown is bleak at best without a thorough house cleaning.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 4:51pm
You people stop thinking about things like Section 8 and Moving Middletown Forward!!!

Why???

Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do not wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of peeling paint in your community.

Ooooooooooh we got trouble,trouble,trouble...
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 5:27pm
Mike you are being Obsessive, please stop.Censored
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 6:10pm

Spider

“People that live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”.
Oh...they will answer one way or the other...and this time I will hang all the dirty laundry out on the line for all to see!

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2009 at 7:04pm
Mr.P--we can take care of Section 8 and MMF simultaneously in one day.

Next November we vote out Mr.Armbruster,Mr.Schiavone and Mr.Marconi
Hopefully Mr.Becker will be chosen to handle the county emergency operation.
His replacement would be chosen by the remaining Council members.
These are the four commissioners who voted to retain CONSOC because "you don't change something that is working well".

If the next Section 8 contract mandates a 50% reduction over time, we only need like-minded bodies in power to carry it out.

We already know about the MMF plan, and witnessed it in operation last Council elections. Simply watch the money flow, and during campaign forums, ask the appropriate ?s.
Still--we need viable ward candidates.

Quit pouting, pacman.
Does it hurt sitting on your fingers, or are you wearing mittens?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 6:07am
Spider:
We cannot take care of it if the people get distracted by the countermeasures (mis-direction) being used by the powers that be.

As in "The Music Man", this city's power brokers (Middletown's "Professor Harold Hill") are simply manufacturing "straw men" (the pool table in the Music Man, the peeling paint and anything else they can think of to distract us in our case) to draw attention away from the real purpose.  (In The Music Man, the purpose was to flim-flam the local hayseeds out of their hard-earned money to pay for instruments and uniforms for a "boys' band" and his promise to teach them to play with his innovative "THINK system" of music instruction.) 

I won't carry this analogy any farther, as I don't want to be boring, but I must warn one more time:
Do NOT be distracted!!!  Do NOT fall for mis-direction!!!  Keep your eyes on the ball!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 6:09am

This entire Section 8 contract situation has turned into a bad novel.
Over the years it is evident that the City Manager, Council Members, Mr. Kohler and other department heads have not been keeping their eyes on this ball.
They admitted that over the years they had many problems with CONSOC but they continued to use this vendor. Why didn’t they solve the problems along the way? Why did they OK an increase in Section 8 vouchers? Why did they choose CONSOC with the highest bid? Then the City Manager hires an outside firm for $30,000 to negotiate a 3 year contract that now seems to have some serious problems. And you can bet that we haven’t heard the end of this problem.
Before we vote this year we really need to demand answers from all the candidates to all the questions and problems that we have discussed here on this forum.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 6:28am
Vivian:
AMEN!!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 8:07am
Vivian; You go girl. Tell it like it is.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 5:23pm
Good luck Vivian! 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 7:04pm

April 7, 2009 5:30 P.M.    Middletown City Council Meeting

I am here tonight to speak for the 7,000 people who can no longer speak for themselves: those 7,000 souls and 233 veterans, who rest quietly in the Middletown Cemetery. I represent them—and those who may be buried there in the future.

During the past five years I have spoken to city managers, mayors, council members, the police department and many more city officials in an effort to preserve and improve the condition of the Middletown Cemetery.

In 2005, I met Marty Kohler at the cemetery to discuss the critical condition of the vault.  He told me Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds could be used to restore the vault if City Council declared the cemetery historic. In 2006, Council made that declaration; however, Mr. Kohler has not set aside a single dollar of CDBG funds for the vault restoration. The stone work continues to deteriorate, and still the CDBG budget does not include funds to restore the vault.
I requested that the City strap the vault to keep the stone walls from collapsing; the City ignored my request.
I requested that the City put a tarp over the roof; again the City ignored my request.

In October 2007, the Middletown Community Foundation awarded a grant of $11,000 to help secure the stone work until the vault could be completely restored. In 2008, Don Thompson came before this Council and requested additional funds to save the vault. Council denied his request. If the monies are not used this year, the Foundation will rescind the grant and retain the funds.

This past September, about a week after Hurricane Ike hit, I asked the Public Works Department to clear the driveways enough to allow access to the back section of the cemetery for a funeral. There were three days until the funeral, but city staff told me they were too busy clearing other areas of the city. The funeral home staff and I had to clear the drives so the funeral procession could get to the grave. After several months Woodside Cemetery
sent 5 men for 2 days to the cemetery to cut up the downed trees and large limbs. The City has still not sent a crew to finish clearing the cemetery. As I stand before you tonight the cemetery is still littered with damage from last September’s storm. WHAT IF THIS HAD BEEN YOUR FAMILY MEMBER? Again with your INACTION you have shown A TOTAL LACK OF REPECT for those buried in this cemetery

In
November and again in December 2008, the Public Works Department contacted me about hurricane-related damages at the cemetery so they could prepare their reports for FEMA. Both times I told them there was damage to about 23 stones.

In January Pam Banks of the Finance Department contacted me about damage at the cemetery; it seems that Public Works had told them there was no damage. The Finance Department asked if I would meet Mr. Priest, the FEMA Representative, so the City could file the claim. I met with him at the cemetery to verify the damage and got a quote for repairing the stones.
CLEARLY THIS WAS NOT THE RESPONSIBILTY OF A VOLUNTEER.  

I have tried to work with the City to restore and maintain the cemetery. I find it strange that the City is able to find funds for other historic projects, but Council is unwilling to allocate funds to save or care for this historic cemetery.

HOWEVER…it really isn’t a matter of whether you think this is a worthwhile project,
or whether you want to fix the fences and close the gates to secure the property,
or even that you just can’t seem to find the funds to restore the vault.
Ohio Revise Code 4767.06(H) clearly states that you
MUST.
It is your legal obligation to care for and maintain this cemetery.

In 2005, after the cemetery was vandalized, I spoke with then-mayor, Noah Powers and told him that the city was in violation of Ohio Revised Code. It is clear during the past five years Council has consistently ignored my message….not because funds were not available, but because you simply don’t care. 

I’m here tonight to inform you again that the City Government’s apathy and neglect of this cemetery over the past 60 years puts you in direct violation of Ohio State Law. The law clearly states the city MUST have processes and funding in place to properly manage, maintain and preserve a city-owned cemetery.

I respectfully request Middletown City Council establish a dedicated board to oversee the management, maintenance, and preservation of our historic Pioneer Cemetery. 
I request that the Vault and all fences be repaired and cleared.
I’m also requesting any and all information, including donations and expenditures, regarding the Middletown Cemetery Perpetual Care Fund—an account which now seems to have vanished.

Other citizens and I have made various attempts to encourage you to address the condition and problem issues of the cemetery; perhaps you would rather respond to a formal complaint as to why you continue to ignore and violate Ohio Law for basic cemetery regulations and cemetery maintenance.
Please be advised… that if Council can't agree in the next two weeks to address
Middletown Cemetery’s problems, I will file a formal complaint against you with the State of Ohio.

As of tonight, there are fourteen days for you to respond with a realistic plan for addressing the needs at the Cemetery….and the clock is ticking.

The
Middletown Cemetery and the 7,000 souls that rest there will no longer be silent or ignored.

Vivian Moon

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 7:23pm
Spider, No it is not cold enough for Mittens and I am to busy to sit on my hands.  Had a family emergency and working on business survival in this economy.  As far as pouting I'll leave that to you.

Thomas Jefferson
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 7:39pm
Vivian;  You did a wonderful job at City Hall tonight. Keep up the good work you have people backing you 100%. I thought it was so stupid of our mayor to say we are not here for questions and answers. That is the problem down there they never give any answers to anything. What the hell good are they?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 8:11pm
Vivian.....Excellent presentation. An absolute shame they cut you off. Keep it up!
Truth Teller View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 8:56pm
When the recently "resigned" Community Development Administrator flew to Middletown (at his own expense) for an interview in early November 2006, Marty Kohler proudly spoke of the Section 8 program and how it had grown under his direction over the past few years and was infusing HUD funds into neighborhoods resulting in upgraded rental housing conditions.

His predecessor (Angela Tucker) would not allow HUD-funded housing code enforcement personnel to cite Section 8 properties with violations.  She told staff that he later inherited that CONSOC was being paid to ensure that all properties met HUD's Housing Quality Standards.  He changed this policy upon his arrival and spent many hours on the phone and sending e-mails to CONSOC when inspectors discovered problems.  This angered Mr. Kohler.

The truth will set the captives free!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic